This post may contain affiliate links.
What’s up friends! I hope you’re having an enjoyable week. As for me, my life tends to ebb and flow with excitement and down time, and the past week has definitely been more of a “rest week” for me.
I took an epic 2-hour nap on Sunday after church and took a half day off from seeing clients this week to recover from the last few weeks of insanity. Weeks like this make me wonder why I don’t take time off more often?
Fortunately, my husband will be starting a new teaching job soon which means we get to have a summer vacation this year… woohoo! I have been dying for a vacation for the past 4-5 months, and I’m trying to find something fun to do for our first wedding anniversary in June.
Do you have any suggestions for where we should go for a romantic, budget-friendly trip? Share your thoughts in the comments below this post!
And if you’re just here for the food… here’s the #FedForReal recipe of the week!
Fed For Real
Recipe of the week:
Healthy Chili Nachos
It’s hard to beat a good chili. And nachos are typically not what you’d consider a “healthy” food… until now!
Try these delicious healthy nachos for your next game day. This simple staple is an easy way of packing in a few extra servings of veggies, herbs, spices and even liver if you’re game!
And it’s guaranteed to satisfy your pickiest family members, without them even knowing how healthy it is for them.
Healthy Chili Nachos
Prep time: 10 min / Cook time: 35 min / Total time: 45 minutes
1 serving = 715 calories, 28g fat, 41g protein, 78g carbs, 22g fiber
- 2 tsp Olive Oil or avocado oil, coconut oil, ghee etc
- 1 medium Red Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 Tb Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tb ground Cumin
- 2 medium Carrots, diced
- 1 medium Bell pepper, diced
- 8oz (225g) Ground Beef, grass fed
- 2 cup Black Beans – canned or cooked, drained, rinsed
- 2 cups Canned tomatoes
- Sea salt, to taste
- 4 medium Gluten-free Tortillas – Siete, organic corn etc
- 3 cups Arugula, chopped
- ½ cup Cilantro, chopped
- ½ medium Avocado, sliced
- 1 fresh lime, cut into wedges
- 2 Tb grated Cheese – full fat, grass fed, organic (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot. Saute the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the paprika and cumin, cook for a minute until fragrant. Stir through the carrot and bell peppers.
- Add the ground beef and brown for a few minutes before stirring through the black beans and tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes (longer for deeper flavor)
- While chilli is simmering, preheat a broiler or oven to 350F (180C). Cut the tortillas into large triangle chips.
- Place them under heat and cook for a few minutes until slightly crispy. Keep an eye on them so they don’t burn!
- Remove chilli from the heat and stir through half the cilantro. Serve half the chili with 1.5 cups of chopped arugula and half the tortilla chips.
- Top with ¼ sliced avocado, half the remaining cilantro, 1Tb cheese if using and a big squeeze of fresh lime juice.
NOTE: If you want to further bump the nutrient value of this healthy nachos recipe, add chopped liver pieces in with the ground beef to disguise it through the chili.