This post may contain affiliate links.
Happy Thursday, friend!
Can you believe it’s December already? Is it just me, or does time really seem to move faster each year?
This apparent time warp may be because of how busy I’ve been this fall getting my brand new online course launched. Fed and Fearless Foundations is a 30 day virtual course that will kickstart your journey to your healthiest self- mind, body, and spirit.
I’ve poured all my experience, heart, and soul into making Fed and Fearless Foundations everything you need to discover YOUR ideal approach to health.
It takes you from burnt out on restrictive diets, and exercise that exhausts you… to having tools and knowledge you need to support your body in the way that’s best for you!
And if you’re just here for the food, here’s the #FedForReal recipe of the week! 🙂
Fed For Real
Recipe of the week:
Hearty Chicken Soup
Take a note from your grandma’s cookbook and add this hearty chicken soup to your Fall repertoire. Not only is it a wonderful way of using leftover vegetables and herbs (you can really substitute in whatever is on hand!), it’s a rich source of immune supporting nutrients like protein (particularly glycine and proline amino acids), vitamin C, B12, zinc, beta carotene and a range of phytonutrients. Perfect for bolstering your immune system as we move into the more sniffly months of the year!
Hearty Chicken Soup
Prep time: 5min / 30 Cook Time: /Total time: 35 minutes
1 serving = 711 calories, 21g fat, 47g protein, 72g carbs, 11g fiber
- 1 TB Olive oil or fat of choice
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 stalks Celery, chopped
- 2 large Carrot, chopped
- 1 TB grated Ginger
- 2 sprigs of Fresh Thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 4 cups Chicken Broth (homemade or quality store bought e.g. Kettle and Fire)
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 large Zucchini, Squash or Bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cups Sweet or White potato
- 8 oz Chicken breast, chopped
- 2 slices organic Bacon, chopped
- 2 cups Spinach or Curly Kale, shredded
- ¼ cup fresh Parsley
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 2 Slices Gluten Free grainy bread
- 1 TB butter
- Heat oil or fat in a large saucepan to medium temperature. Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, ginger and thyme. Sautee for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the broth and water, bring to the boil and reduce to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini (squash or bell pepper), potato, chicken and bacon pieces. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
Stir through the spinach and cook for a few more minutes until slightly wilted.
- Remove from heat. Stir through fresh parsley and season liberally with salt and pepper.
Serve half the soup with one slice of buttered toast.NB: you can add 1-2 cloves of chopped garlic and oregano to the butter for a delicious, immune supporting garlic bread!