Happy Thursday, friend!
I’ve been doing some deep “soul searching” as part of my work this week, to get my business moving in the direction I want it to go.
Part of that has been opening up on social media and sharing some controversial beliefs that might offend some people. Now when I say “offend”, it’s not because I’m trying to be mean or hurtful, or purposely offensive.
But I’ve found that whenever you take a strong stance about something, there is bound to be someone who disagrees strongly enough to tell you what they think.
That controversial topic for me tends to be my belief in God, more specifically my belief that Jesus is the Son of God and our personal Savior. I get more controversial responses from that than I do from the vegan commentators who tell me to “educate myself” when I post a picture of animal foods!
But what I’ve concluded after running an online business and blog for the past 6-7 years is that no matter what I say, someone is going to disagree with me. And the only way to avoid controversy is to say nothing, do nothing, and be nothing.
So I’ve decided the heck with that… I’m going to share my beliefs and if people have a problem with it, they can hit “unfollow”!
And I hope that my unapologetic stance on standing up for what you believe in gives you encouragement about that same struggle.
Because I know that there’s a bright light inside of YOU that wants to shine, but so often fear of criticism snuffs it out.
I’m so happy you’re here with me on this journey towards living a fearless life, and I hope I’ve encouraged you to be a little more fearless this week too!
Now let’s get to the food… here’s the #FedForReal recipe of the week! 🙂
Fed For Real
Recipe of the week
Grilled Chicken and Grapefruit Salad
Springtime calls for fresh salads, exploding with color and goodness. It’s a great time to enjoy citrus fruits like juicy grapefruits, which add a nice flavor dynamic.. slightly sweet, slightly sour!
Grapefruits are antioxidant bombs, rich in vitamin C and immune-supporting phytochemicals such as lycopene, limonene, and beta carotene.
GRILLED CHICKEN AND GRAPEFRUIT SALAD
Prep time: 10 min / Cook time: 40 min / Total time: 50 minutes
1 serving = 686 calories, 28g fat, 41g protein, 78g carbs, 15g fiber
- 5 Cups Butternut Squash, cubed
- 1 bunch (~2 cups) Asparagus, ends trimmed
- 10oz (283g) Organic Chicken breast
- 3 TB Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 medium Grapefruit, peeled and cut into wedges
- 4 cups Mixed lettuce/ leafy greens
- ½ cup Fresh Mint
- 1 TB honey
- 2 Tsp mustard
- 2 Tsp Red wine vinegar or Apple cider vinegar
- ½ medium Avocado, sliced
- Preheat an oven to 350F (180C). Spread the butternut squash and asparagus out over two baking trays. Coat with 1 TB of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for ~30 minute or until soft. Allow to cool.
- Time saving tip – roast the veggies in advance to throw on your salad later in the week
- Heat an outdoor grill med-high. Coat the chicken breasts in ½ TB of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook for ~3 minutes each side, then reduce heat to low and cook for a further 3 minutes each side until meat thermometer reads 160F or the meat is white through the thickest part. Alternatively, pan fry the breasts in a skillet on medium temperature, flipping over every few minutes to cook through. Slice it into smaller pieces.
- Time saving tip – use shredded rotisserie chicken instead of grilling your own
- Combine the squash, asparagus, chicken, grapefruit, lettuce and mint into a large bowl.
- Combine the remaining olive oil, honey, mustard and vinegar into a jar and shake until combine. Pour over the salad ingredients and toss until combined.
- Serve half of the salad with ¼ avocado sliced on top.