This post may contain affiliate links.
Hey hey, happy Thursday friend!
Today’s the last day of our mega road trip that we started over two weeks ago. We’re in Asheville, NC today and hoping that the weather will stay dry so we can do something fun before we head home to Raleigh this afternoon.
It’s definitely been a whirlwind trip! There was a lot more driving than I anticipated, and I think there was a rain cloud following us around since we left Toronto. I think it rained about 75% of our trip which was a little crazy, especially considering that apparently there was a drought in Raleigh. Figures, right?
If we do another road trip in the future (which I assume we will) I’ll plan to give us a little more time at each destination. I didn’t anticipate having to leave so early from each location in order to leave enough time for the actual traveling. Yesterday we were in downtown Nashville only a few hours, which was a bit of a bummer because I love Nashville and wanted to stay longer!
Either way, I think the next trip I take I’ll plan to stay in one spot for a while rather than bouncing from place to place. I was joking with my husband that we might need a vacation from this road trip based on how stinkin’ tired we are from the late nights and long drives. But it’s back to full time work next Monday!
The best part about the trip was getting to see tons of family and friends who we seriously haven’t seen since our wedding last year. I wish we had another reason for everyone to get together for a party! It was awesome to see everyone though, and definitely made the wet, tiring trip worth it.
Alright, enough babbling from me… here’s your #FedForReal recipe of the week!
Fed For Real
Recipe of the week:
Salmon Salsa Salad
This Mexican-inspired salad is perfect for balmy summer nights. Just chop, grill, toss and enjoy!
The wild Alaskan salmon adds a hearty dose of essential omega_3 fatty acids, which complements the anti-inflammatory vegetables and herbs to create a nourishing, easy and delicious summer meal.
And just like all my Fed For Real recipes, it’s a great balance of protein, fat, and carbs to fuel you the way your body needs. (Yasss!)
Get more great macro balanced recipes like this – along with shopping guides and meal planning tips – in our 14 Day Calorie Challenge!
salmon salsa salad
Prep time: 10 min / Cook time: 15 min / Total time: 25 minutes
1 serving = 709 calories, 25g fat, 44g protein, 80g carbs, 14g fiber
- 2 x 6.4oz (2 x 180g) wild caught Alaskan Salmon
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tsp of ground Cumin or unsweetened Mexican seasoning (e.g. Trader Joe’s)
- 1 TB extra virgin Olive oil
- 1.5 cup cooked White basmati rice
- 1 cup Canned Organic Black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh Pineapple, diced
- 3 medium Tomatoes, diced
- 1 Telegraph Cucumber, diced
- 4 cups Arugula or leafy greens of choice
- ½ cup fresh Cilantro, diced
- ½ Jalapeno (optional) – finely diced
- 2 Lime, juice and zest
- 1 Avocado, diced
- Preheat an outdoor grill or large skillet to medium heat.
- Coat the salmon fillets in 1 tsp olive oil, the cumin and salt and pepper.
- Grill the salmon for 2-3 minutes each side until just cooked through (or to level of preferred rareness)
- Combine the cooked rice, black beans, pineapple, tomatoes, cucumber, leafy greens, cilantro and jalapeno if using.
- Pour over remaining olive oil, lime juice, lime zest and season with salt and pepper. Toss until well combined.
- Gently toss through the avocado and flaked salmon.
- Serve half the salad with a wedge of lime.
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments
add a comment