This post may contain affiliate links.
Happy Thursday, friend!
If you live in the Carolinas like I do, you’re obviously aware of the massive Hurricane Florence headed our way this weekend. It’s been a crazy week trying to prepare and make sure our home is ready to weather the storm!
One thing I’ve had to do is try to find disaster-appropriate food that isn’t total junk. I’m really hoping we don’t lose power but if we do, I’ve got plenty of fresh fruit, snacks, canned fish, and Ample Meal shakes to keep us fed for the weekend!
If you’re in North/South Carolina, I hope you’ve either evacuated or adequately prepped. Wherever you are, your prayers are appreciated as we brace for the impact of this storm. I’m really hoping the media is exaggerating when they call it the “storm of a lifetime”…
Anyway, life must go on, right? And since it’s Thursday, I have a new recipe for you! I’m cutting these recipes back to every other week for now so I can focus on getting other content out, but I hope you find these macro-balanced recipes helpful for keeping yourself well fed.
Without further ado, here’s the #FedForReal recipe of the week!
Fed For Real
Recipe of the week:
Harissa Chicken Salad
Spice up your chicken salad with a dash of Harissa seasoning. This North African blend of chillies, spices and herbs adds a subtle kick to dressings, meat and veggie rubs, stews and soups.
Harissa’s spiciness can vary from mild to very hot, so check the label!! Chilies are a great nutrient booster if you are adventurous enough to include them, and are rich in a carotenoid called Capsanthin, known for its antioxidant properties. This salad also contains a variety of veggies and fiber-rich chickpeas to help keep your gut bugs happy.
Harissa Chicken Salad
Prep time: 10min / Cook Time: 45 min /Total time: 55 minutes
1 serving = 695 calories, 25g fat, 45g protein, 78g carbs, 16g fiber
- 10oz (283g) Organic Chicken Breast (or Rotisserie chicken if short on time)
- 8 Baby Carrots, trimmed, peeled
- 2 medium Sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium Zucchinis, chopped
- 1 Orange, juiced
- 3 TB Olive oil
- 1- 2 Tb Gluten-free Harissa seasoning
- 1 Tb Apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups Arugula
- 1 cups Chickpeas, canned, drained
- ½ cup fresh Mint
- ½ Cup fresh Parsley
- Preheat oven to 360F (180C). Arrange carrots, sweet potato and zucchini on baking trays. Drizzle with ½ Tb olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 45 min or until soft and golden.
- If using fresh chicken breast, brush with 1 tsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on tray in oven and bake for 20-30 minutes while veggies are cooking. Remove from heat and shred with fingers.
- Combine orange juice, remaining olive oil, Harissa seasoning and apple cider vinegar in a small jar. Shake to combine.
- Combine arugula, chickpeas, mint and parsley in a large bowl. Add the baked vegetables and shredded chicken. Toss over dressing.
- Serve half the recipe per person.